The History of Ord House
During the late 13th century, Kenneth Mackenzie 7th of Kintail (also known as “Kenneth of the Battle”) was a Highland chief and the head of Clan Mackenzie. He had 7 children and it was one of his grandchildren, Thomas of Lochluichart, who first obtained the lands of Ord in 1598. After Thomas’ death in 1616, his lands and the mill of Ord were passed on to his eldest son, John Mackenzie, who was locally called "Ian Dubh a Ghiuthais" or Black John of the Fir. In 1637, The Highland chief George Mackenzie, 2nd Earl of Seaforth, granted John an official charter of the lands of Ord. A stone dated 1637 and initialled JMcK can be found from the front façade of the Ord House. After the death of John Mackenzie, the house and its lands were given to his eldest son and heir Thomas Mackenzie, 3rd of Ord. By 1831, the house had become the Mansion House of Thomas Mackenzie, 5th of Ord, who at the time was considered a principal agriculturist within the area and who founded the Glen Ord Distillery. In 1850, the house was remodelled by Inverness- based architect James Ross who also appears to have been Archibald Simpson's clerk of works at Stracathro.
The Allen family have lived in and looked after Ord House for many decades and take great care of keeping the property reflecting its history and original style.